When you wake up in the morning, what is the first thing on your mind? What is the first thing you do? Do these actions support you throughout your day or do they add tension to your day?
As I woke up on Monday morning, I reached for my phone to browse the news headlines, perhaps not the best morning ritual – even before getting out of bed, before my morning coffee, before my dog, Beau, had a chance to jump on the bed to greet me good morning… The news of yet another school shooting was chilling to the core and we, as a nation, continue to live with it and live through it. I found that for me personally, how I start the day really sets the tone for the rest of the day, especially during the most difficult days. I hope that whatever emotions are emerging as you live through your own unique trauma and challenges, you can find mornings as an opportunity to reset and reframe your day. I try to always remind myself of all the beautiful goodness that surrounds me. ~InJin
Here is one example of a morning ritual that you can use as a model:
- Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice (in your first glass of water)
- Lemons are a digestive bitter which helps your body absorb vitamins, minerals, and other vital nutrients from your meals, releasing all the potential energy they contain!
- Squeezing a lemon wedge into your first glass of water in the morning has been shown to be a mood booster too!
- Morning Meditation
- Meditation is a free and easy way to set an intention for your day.
- Seat yourself in a comfortable chair, or on a cushion on the floor. Keep your back as straight as possible, without straining. Take a deep breath or two, and then close your eyes.
- Notice your breath.
- Allow your thoughts to flow as they will. Don’t try to control them or to “empty your mind.” Try an intention setting mantra to repeat to yourself.
- At first, try to sit in calm silence for just one minute, then add more time and space to your practice.
- Don’t need to be a bendy person to stretch and get the soothing benefits from a big yawny stretch!
- Roll your neck around for half a minute, clockwise and then counterclockwise (or vice versa). Extend your arms and hold for 20 seconds, to relieve tension in your sides. Put your hands on your hips and do a little side twist in both directions.
- Remember to stretch throughout the day when tensions form in your body!
Be compassionate and kind to yourself as you start your day ☀️