Do you want to earn your ECE units to teach TK? The COE can help!
Teacher Qualification Requirements
EC 48000 (g) (4)
Beginning in 2023-24, credentialed teachers assigned to a TK class (including independent study) after July 1, 2015 must have one of the following by August 24, 2023:
- At least 24 units in early childhood education, or childhood defvelopment, or both.
- Beginning in 2023-24, credentialed teachers assigned to a TK class (including independent studey) after July 1, 2015 must have one of the following by August 24, 2023:
- At least 24 units in early childhood education, or childhood development, or both.
- As determined and documented by the LEA employing the teacher, professional experience in a classroom setting with preschool age chidlren meeting the criteria established by the governing board of body of the LEA that is comparable to the 24 units of education.
Do you want to earn your ECE units to teach TK? The COE can help with reimbursement for you to get the units, and also for travel costs and supplies. Here is a list of some of the programs that are available to obtain the units. If you are interested, please fill out this Google Form.
Child Development Training Consortium (CDTC) provides services, training, technical assistance, and resources to students and professionals working with and for children. In doing so, we help promote professionalism and high-quality early care and education programs that benefit California’s children and families. Visit the Child Development Traning Consortium.
Please note that this is funded by a consortium grant that includes 9 of the Santa Cruz School Districts and Tierra Pacifica Charter School. PVUSD and any other charter and private school teachers are not eligible for this funding.
Preschool to Third Grade (P-3) Alignment
- For additional resources, please visit the CDE’s Preschool to Third Grade (P–3) Alignment
- For questions, please contact P-3 Alignment
- To ensure you receive the latest information, please subscribe to P-3 news. Add “Subscribe” to the subject line.
The California Department of Education (CDE) and its partners have developed guidance for Universal PreKindergarten (UPK) and PreKindergarten – Third Grade (P-3) through the California Educators Together website. This web page provides materials and information on the CDE’s UPK Planning and Implementation guidance.