Dear Parent or Guardian,
It is with deep sadness that I write to inform you of a devastating loss to our community. We have learned that on Saturday night, an Alternative Education student was killed in a fatal shooting in Boulder Creek. This student attended Oasis High School, and was recognized by teachers for possessing an upbeat attitude toward life and school and for being an enjoyable student to work with who was easy to talk to. Our hearts and our strength go out to this student’s family.
This loss will most certainly be felt throughout our community touching numerous school sites and districts. Counseling support will be available to students and families at your student’s school tomorrow and over the coming days.
Words fail to capture our collective shock and devastation at learning this news. This incident remains under active police investigation. This tragedy is felt deeply, both here in Alternative Education and throughout our community.
We are cooperating with the investigation, and anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact the Sheriff’s Office directly at (831) 471-1121.
Please know that we are here for you, and we will do everything we can to support all who are impacted. We are including a set of resources for you and your student:
- Resource: Student and Family Behavioral Health Support
- Resource: Teen Grief Handbook
- Resource: Teen Grief Handbook – Spanish
- Resource: Coping with violence: What parents can do
- Resource: Talking to Children about Violence
- Resource: Guides & Tools for coping & talking about violence with Children
- Resource: Psychological First Aid for Parents_SPANISH
- Resource: Psychological First Aid for Parents_ENGLISH
- Resource: Supporting Youth in Grief_Hospice Guide for Parents and Caregivers_SPANISH
- Resource: Supporting Youth in Grief_Hospice Guide for Parents and Caregivers_ENGLISH
Please feel free to contact your student’s school or call the main office with anything you may need.
Executive Director of Alternative Education