Our vision is for Santa Cruz County to be a model of safe and inclusive schools for all students and families and especially for LGBTQ students. The research is clear: when students feel safe, supported and included in school, their learning increases, their engagement increases and more students graduate from high school who are college and career ready.
Our Support Actions
Toward the vision of Santa Cruz County being a model of safety and inclusiveness for LGBTQ students, our ongoing support includes:
- The county LGBTQ task force composed of representatives from all school districts, charter schools and independent schools in Santa Cruz County meets quarterly to identify the ongoing needs of our LGBTQ students.
- Every department within the County Office is continually identifying ways we can make all of our schools more safe, supportive and inclusive for all students. Finally, we have developed a plan to guide schools and school districts in ways to make all schools safer and more inclusive for LGBTQ students and their families.
March Equity Event: Focus on LGBTQ+ Students and Families.
Speakers and students share their vision and successes in schools across Santa Cruz County.
October LGBTQ History Month Kick Off Event.
The Santa Cruz COE was excited to host a virtual celebratory LGBTQ+ History Month Kick Off event on Oct. 1, 2020 at 3pm-4:30pm. The event convened LGBTQ+ student leaders and allies, local Santa Cruz County Board trustees, local elected officials, and educators to celebrate the accomplishments of LGBTQ+ people in history who are remembered as champions of social justice and who took important actions to enhance the health, well-being, and sense of community for LGBTQ+ people in the United States. View the recording of the event below.
June 2020 Pride Video from Superintendents Across the County
Background Info: Laws and Policies
State and local laws have been passed to guide schools and teachers about the treatment and support of LGBTQ students include:
- Suicide Prevention Policies in Schools and ongoing professional learning (2016). EC 215. CDE Guidance
- California Healthy Youth Act mandates Comprehensive and Inclusive Family Life Education (2015): EC 51930-51939. CDE Guidance
- School Success and Opportunity Act identifies treatment of transgender students (2013) EC 221.5. CDE Guidance
- Fair, Accurate, Inclusive and Respectful (FAIR) Act mandates the teaching of LGBTQ History in history classrooms. (2011). EC 51204.5. CDE Guidance
- Seth’s Law added sexual orientation and gender identity to anti bullying school policies (2011): EC 234.5.
- Safe Place to Learn Act (2007) EC 234 .
Most school districts include policies that are supportive of LGBTQ students and families may be interested in reading these policies from your school district:
- 5137: Positive School Climate
- 5145.3: Non Discrimination / Harassment / Treatment of Transgender Students
- 1312.3: Uniform Complaint Procedures
- 6142.8: Comprehensive Health Education
- 6142.94: Social Science Instruction
Santa Cruz MAH Special Tours for Educators. The Santa Cruz Museum of Art and History offers free tours for teachers and students – in person or online. View the Queer Santa Cruz Online Exhibit to learn more about local LGBTQ history. Schedule your tour today by contacting Oscar Paz at the MAH: email@example.com.
Santa Cruz Public Library LGBTQ+ Book List. View the LGBTQ+ book list here from the Santa Cruz Public Library and check one out to read today.
Listed below are other resources for principals, teachers, students and families: